Thursday, October 1, 2009

Moving in and Making Friends: Club Sports



When I started college I was terrified to be leaving the safety of knowing my environment, and especially at leaving friends. I wanted to find that security of having friends who will be there no matter what.

At orientation, I signed up for the women’s rugby team on a whim. I didn’t really take it too seriously, and I signed up for a lot of things that day. But once I moved in, I decided to give rugby a shot. It was the best move I ever made at AU. I fell into this amazing group of people where I met all of my closest friends. The team truly is a family. As a freshman it was a great way to make friends. It also kept me busy on the weekends, which is what I credit for keeping me from getting homesick.

Getting involved in a club sport isn’t just a great way to meet friends; it forces you to get some exercise in. I know I’m going to work out at least 3 times a week, because I have practice 3 times a week. It’s much more fun to go to practice than to go to the gym. With over 20 club sports, you’ll be able to find something new to try.

If sports aren’t your thing, check out a club. Find something that you love doing and will keep you busy, and somewhere along the way you’ll find that perfect fit.


No comments:

Post a Comment